“There is no doubt that China’s demand for dairy will be under the spotlight yet again in 2021 – and it’s hardly surprising,” writes Richard Field in Dairy Products China News. “Cost competitiveness is key, if rarely all.”
Indeed, as prices for locally produced milk hit new highs and continued recovery in the livestock sector drives demand for whey, February could prove to be a ‘rather telling’ month as online dairy numbers emerge from this year’s Spring Festival. Of course, as we move through the year it’s also possible that other mitigating factors may pull consumer spending away from dairy – something to keep a close eye on.
Exclusive Chinese dairy market analysis in this issue:
- China's Ongoing Growth in Dairy Imports in 2020. While imports of WMP, SMP and IF slipped, whey (mainly permeate) and cream soared.
- A Review of China's Dairy Sector in 2020 and Outlook for 2021, pointing to swift dairy consumption growth in 2020 which is likely to slow this year.
- Governmental Direction: China and New Zealand Sign Upgraded Protocol.
- Anhui, Gansu and Henan provinces implementation plans to improve quality and safety of dairy products.
- The 2nd consultation paper of the NFSS – Formulae for Infants and Young Children.
- Zhuangyuan Pasture announces takeover Zhuangyuan Pasture.
- Zhejiang Liziyuan’s successful USD118.6m IPO as it looks to build scale.
- Tianrun Dairy's signs cooperation framework agreement to build a new 10,000 cow farm project.
- Yili and Mengniu strengthening upstream development.
- Increasing feed costs and Chinese Spring Festival drive record demand for raw milk.
For full access to our exclusive monthly newsletter with dairy market analysis on China subscribe today.
Subscriber benefits include:
- Exclusive dairy analysis of events, dynamics and prospects in the local dairy sector.
- Newsletter archive of all editions of Dairy Products China News since its launch in 2008.
- Ability to research topics of interest by key word across full archive and retrieve all related PDFs.